Canoe Tripping Course Level I - ORCA
The following are pictures of an ORCA Canoe Tripping Level I course I had the opportunity to attend this past winter in London, Ontario. The course included 4 separate training sessions, a pool session, and the canoe trip:
- Introduction - Canoe Resources - Navigation (including maps and compass) - Knots and Lashings.
- Canoeing First Aid - Including First Aid Kit - Hypothermia - Prevention & Treatment - Trip Planning - Portaging Techniques.
- Food & Menu Planning - Weather Interpretation - Environmental Concerns - Canoe Heritage.
- Canoe Construction & Design - Canoe Tripping Gear - Clothing & Personal Items - Tools and Repair Kits - Packing - Fires & Stoves.
- Swimming and Treading
- Retrieving a Swamped Canoe Canoe
- Over Rescue
- Self Rescue
- Line Toss.
- Canoeing Skills Review & Testing
- Portaging Skills
- Camping Skills
Testing Location: Algonquin Park Interrior - Magnetawan Lake entrance #4.
A quick pose for the camera before getting into the swim gear and tackling the long awaited tests in the pool. The swim test was four lengths with a life jacket adorned. It sounds easy enough...try it some time...I would have rather done it without the jacket...much easier.
Getting the victim back inside the canoe is easy here in this calm pool, however it can be quite dangerous in rough waters. Every person must work as a team in order to achieve a successful rescue.
It's that last hurtle that is the tough one...getting back inside the canoe, safe and sound is the goal.
The Algonquin Interior Trip
FULL REPORT HERE...SOON, I PROMISE...