Monday, August 21

60 = 40

We Are Not Going to AGE

Of course, we are going to fight the aging process with all we have.

The first of the Baby Boomers, the "ole Hippies" of the 60's, are now reaching the ripe old age of sixty, an age once thought to be VERY OLD, but today that concept is changing.

For instance, take a look at your grandparents, the ones who lived through a couple of wars and the Great Depression of the 30's. When they reached age sixty they were old. Why? They simply allowed themselves to become physically and mentally OLD. They allowed themselves to fit the "mold" of an old person, sitting around just waiting for their time to die. "The times, they are a changin." Thank God...

In fact, former US President Clinton just turned sixty on Saturday and says that "sixty was no dream", he added, "I hate it, it's true...For most of my working life, I was the youngest person doing whatever I was doing, then one day I woke up and I was the oldest person in the room." Routers - Friday August 18, 2006

As I turned fifty-five this past spring, I know how Clinton feels, yet instead of "hating it" I love it...I now have a chance to do the things I was never able to do before due to time restrictions. I know this is my time, a time to begin to live my newly created life of freedom of choice.

The global population is aging at an ever increasing rate due to people now living longer. The Canadian Government report on aging demonstrates that in "In 2001, one Canadian in five will have reached the age of 65." The Canadian study finds the life expectancy different that one in the US, wherein the Canadian "Life expectancy is expected to continue to grow, albeit more slowly, reaching 81 years for men and 86 years for women in 2041".

Being fifty-five in 2006, it is unlikely I will live to see if the above comes true, however I plan on giving my survival rate a fight.

According to Dr. Michael Brickley, an APA Fellow and Board Certified Psycholigist with more than 30 years of clinical experience, the secret to living longer is "70% is mental and lifestyle" and the other is "30% of longevity is genetic." Dr. Brickey says that the way to "effect your health" is "Your Anti Aging ABCs (Attitudes, Beliefs, and Coping)".

Of course, living a healthy lifestyle through eating the proper foods and exercising on a regular basis puts you on the right course to living a healthy and long life, so why is it that with all this informaiton people are getting fatter by the minute? For most, that question does not require an answer.

Although, there are many factors that contribute to one living a better life. Quitting work early and doing the things that you never had time for in the past is one way of continuing your health and reducing stress. But remember, if you do quit work and join in the the "Freedom 55" concept of lifestyle YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO FILL IN THE TIME or you will simply wither away and fast.

All-too-often we hear of those who retire and are "bored" within a very short time. They did not do any planning prior to quitting work, and quite possibly did not have much of an outside life in connection with hobbies and special activities such as volunteering. The almighty buck prevailed over their lives.

I have the fortunate experience of planning my retirement for many years and I always looked forward to the day when I did not have to work for a living. There is a time to work and a time to play; my time to play has finally come about, playing one day at a time.

Today, 60 can be 40, but only if you want it to be.

Thank God.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home